Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"I've got sunshine... on a cloudy day..."

Last night, I kissed my thirteen year old daughter for the last time.


*dramatic pause* 


This morning, I smooched my brand-spanking new fourteen year old daughter and wished her a happy birthday!  


I never expected to be a mom. In fact, I never expected to be married, quite frankly. There's always at least one spinster in every generation in my mother's family, and I had rather expected to be the Chosen One. But, I did get married, thanks to the Husbandly One, and then, this little elf-sprite showed up and made me a mom, much to my shock.  


No, seriously, the moment I heard her first cry, my first thought was, "Oh, no, what have I done? I'm not mature enough to be a mom! I have no idea what I'm getting myself into!" But the moment they laid her on my chest, and I got a look into those weary little eyes... I knew we were going to be okay, because she and I were in this together, and we'd figure it out somehow. And we have. I mean, so far, so good, right? She's bright, she's creative, she's strong, and I love her so much!  


*warning for Extreme Mom Moment*  


No, I'm not going to slobber all over my daughter and get maudlin about how perfect she is. She's wonderfully imperfect, and I like her that way, to tell you the truth. I'm just proud of her, proud of the way she meets the challenges in her life, and I'm just amazed that there's this totally awesome person in my life that is always surprising me. And... she came from me, that is the shocking, completely unexpected part.  


Happy birthday, Impertinent Daughter. I love you, I am proud of you, and no matter where you go or what you do, I fully expect to be your biggest cheerleader. You are truly awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment