Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fan Art and Such...

One of the fun things about having my own home-grown manga artist around is the fact that from time to time, I get my very own fan art.

The Impertinent Daughter has been drawing and sketching since she was big enough to hold a crayon in her chubby little fist, and many were the hours that we spent lying on the floor, doodling and drawing on big 18 inch by 24 inch pads of newsprint. We drew dogs, cats, horses, people... and she soaked up technique like a little sponge. She kept at it, and soon was drawing characters from the stories we read to her, and then was drawing characters from her own stories that she made up to tell us.

Then she discovered comics.

I've got reams of comic strips she's drawn over the years. Some make no sense whatsoever, and others are wickedly funny.

Then she discovered anime and manga.

So now, I've got Impertinent Manga all over my desk and stuffed into three fat file folders (looks like I'll have to buy a couple more to hold it all), and sometimes, I feel like I'm going to end up swathed in a veritable paper cocoon of manga art. To make up for it, she sometimes asks me what I'd like her to draw, and sometimes, I have no idea, but other times, out of desperation, I'll suggest something, and she'll draw it.

And that's why I have Spock, from Star Trek in a carp suit...


And a very grumpy Dr. Rodney McKay from Stargate Atlantis...


Somewhere, probably stuffed in one of those file folders, is a drawing she did of her biology teacher this year, a man who bears an uncanny resemblance to Dr. Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory on CBS. And when I find it, I'll scan it up and post it.

I love knowing that I'm raising the next generation of geeks! It's... totally awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment