Friday, January 8, 2010

Because Sisters Will Always Be Sisters...

Wednesday, I was in one of those moods, having just read some Star Trek fic, and then gotten into a discussion about some manga with my daughter about a manga series we've been reading. Oh, and explained a few things about Star Wars to Mr. Irrepressible. And it dawned on me; I... am a geek.

Never thought of myself as a geek before, not really. I was a jock in junior high and high school (swimming, basketball, and softball), as well as a band nerd, but... I never thought of myself as a geek, even though I was into Star Trek, LOTR, Star Wars... I never thought of myself as a geek, because I didn't look like the other kids who were classed as "geeks" at my school. I didn't belong to any of the so-called "geek" clubs, and I didn't hang out with them, though a few of them were my friends. Even they didn't consider me a geek.

The Husbandly One has teased me about being a major animation geek (I so totally am, I know that now!), but I always just sort of laughed it off. And he's teased me about being a computer geek and a Harry Potter geek, and I laughed that all off, too. But Wednesday night, it just... sank in, and I felt the need to celebrate it, to own it, as it were, so... I posted this on Facebook.

"Dear Bets and Blondie*

Your sister is a geek. Just thought you ought to know. Take appropriate measures."

Names changed to protect the guilty their identities.

After all, what better way to own something than to "come out" to your family, right?

This was the Blonde Sister's reply: "Mom made us promise not to ever tell you that! And I told Bets... wouldn't that be the best if we could tell her? But noooo, you had to find out on your own!!"

*dies laughing*

I love my sister!!

No comments:

Post a Comment